Friday, June 14, 2019

The Rug Is Finished!

I have finally finished the main rug for the Sagamore Hill library!



Its border looks lighter in the photographs than it does in real life.  It almost looks white in the pictures, but it was worked with DMC 739 (very light tan), which to me looks like a pale, peachy gold.  I am very glad I did the borders around the medallions.  They definitely give the border more punch.



Still one more rug to go (the one under the orange chair), but I am taking a break from cross-stitch for a couple of weeks!

I have been playing around with a some more design ideas, including two more purses.


Can you tell this is supposed to have a caterpillar, chrysalis, and butterfly in it?


Also, those of you who follow Samantha (BluePrintMinis on Instagram) may have seen the San Francisco-themed gift basket I made for her.



Since half scale is really my preferred scale, I wondered if I could create a half-scale version.  I did run into a few snags--for starters, I can't find half-scale mugs anymore.  They definitely used to make them, but I've looked just about everywhere and can no longer find them.   I also can't find white wine bottles, so the half-scale basket ended up with two reds, which I guess is OK.  I may see if the guy who makes the 1:12 bottles I use would consider making half scale.  The final snags were that I didn't have a jar small enough for the olives, and the candy bars weren't easy to see when shrunk to half scale.  I ended up substituting chocolate sauce for the candy bars and mustard for the olives.  I also substituted copyright-free versions of the all of the pictures.  Google allows you to search by usage rights, and I was pleasantly surprised by how many good pictures of San Francisco are available free for commercial re-use.  All in all, I'm pleased with how it turned out. ðŸ˜Š


My final bit of news for this entry is that Carrie decided the new tenant in my Fairfield needed a maid, so she dressed one for me!  She found a great half-scale doll that had already been painted, and gave her hair, a dress, apron and cap!

I had already set up a maid's room when I built the Fairfield, so she lost no time making herself at home in her new digs.


She then went to work immediately, serving tea in the sitting room . . .


and cooking what I'm sure will be a delicious meal!


Many thanks to Carrie's fabulous Victorian employment agency!

Enjoy the weekend, everyone!  Hope you get a lot of time to do minis (or whatever your passion is).  Thanks for stopping by!  I really do appreciate all the comments I get.

16 comments:

  1. Oh the rug looks so pretty! I love that. The border really pops.

    The bags are gorgeous. I'm just amazed at the level of detail. And your San Francisco basket is insanely cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really like the border, too. And it's been a lot of fun making small, individual items as a break.

      Delete
  2. So much exciting news to report! The rug is stunning! I had to look at it several times to take it all in and you did an amazing job! It's perfect in the library! I don't blame you one bit for needing a little break from tiny stitching!
    The new purse designs are wonderful! You are not going to be able to keep these things in stock!!!
    The baskets are so perfect! You have everything included that a tourist would love to take home with them! Even the substitutions for the half scale basket are perfectly suited!
    Carrie is really gifted at her clothing and wigging! It's so neat to see her blossoming into this incredible talent! The maid for the Fairfield is lovely and perfect, and it was neat to get a tour of some of the rooms!
    Perhaps you could post a guided tour of all your lovely builds so we can ooohhh and aaahhh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Guided tours of the other builds might be a great idea for when I don't have much to show for my current work . :-) Maybe some throwback Thursday posts. And, yes, Carrie's work is amazing. :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow, the rug is amazing. I can barely thread a needle with out my eyes crossing.
    Your bags are prefect, and I love all the creative designs and embellishments you use.
    I'm so happy you showed us Sam's basket. I was wanting to see its contents and it didn't disappoint!
    P.S. I think Stewart Dollhouse might have 1/2 scale wine bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Carrie! As it turns out, Stewart Dollhouse only does 1:48 wine bottles (sigh), but I checked Shapeways, and they had 1:24 bottles. I've ordered some of them plus a couple of the glass pens Stewart Dollhouse uses, and I'm going to try them out.

      Delete
  4. Hi Deb. The rug looks great, really stunning and I think the border is spot on. Also love the new bags and the gift hampers. Such a fun little gift that can be made so personalised. And Carrie did a lovely job of dressing the maid - she looks happy enough in her new home so I guess her new employees are good to her! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The maid is truly happy in her new home, and the lady of the house is happy to have such a wonderful new employee. ;-) Now I'd better keep it dusted, so no one thinks the new maid is shirking her duties!

      Delete
  5. How fun! You have demonstrated one of the benefits of the miniatures hobby. If you get tired of cross stitch, you make adorable tote bags, then you make San Francisco gift baskets in two scales and finally incorporate a lovely gift doll into your Fairfield House. Using so many skills and techniques is definitely a miniatures thing. The rug is beautiful, as are the other items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is so true--having a variety of projects, that use different skills, is one reason why miniatures are such a fun hobby! I never get bored. :-)

      Delete
  6. Love, LOve, LOVE the rug Deb. It is just stunning and those fine dark lines around the edge of the shapes on the border are like dots above the 'i' - just wouldn't be the same without them.
    The hamper is gorgeous. I did see the goodies spread out on Sam's kitchen counter but did not put 2 and 2 together.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I truly am glad I took the extra time to stitch around the edges. The border would have been blah without them. The gift basket was a spur-of-the-moment inspiration, but it's kind of taken off for me. :-)

      Delete
  7. The gift basket is wonderful and I really like the rug. Enjoy your break from needlework!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am. :-) I have a surprise (well, maybe not a major surprise) for you when you come to this year's party.

      Delete
  8. Deborah your rug is stunning! Such a beautiful piece of work, you must be chuffed to finally have it finished. How great is the mini - mini gift basket, I didn't think it could be any cuter but there you go, smaller is cuter for sure. :D I'm not surprised you made yourself one. I would have wanted to keep the original if I'd made it. :D
    Carrie's doll looks wonderful in the fairfield. Her room is darling. And yes I vote for tours please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Chuffed and relieved, both. :-) I thought I would never finish that thing. More tours coming in the future!

      Delete