Thursday, June 20, 2019

Gardens and Greenhouses – How I Got Back into the World of Miniatures



Here's the first in what may be a series of Throwback Thursday posts for those interested in seeing my other, earlier builds.

I received my first dollhouse for Christmas when I was four years old.  These are not my pictures, but this is the house, both exterior and interior.  It came with molded plastic furniture that was all one color for each room.  Note:  It was half scale.  😉



Unfortunately, I don't have any good pictures of the dollhouse my parents built for me when I was around ten years old.  They made it from left-over materials used to build our 1:1 house, and I thought it was marvelous (even though it had no windows, doors or stairs).  The house was 1:12 scale, but my collection of furniture was—um—eclectic.  I think I had 1:18, 1:12, and a kitchen table that was definitely bigger than 1:12, although not 1:6.  I loved it, and still have some of the pieces from it.

I got back into miniatures a few years ago through fairy gardens.  We were doing a Japanese-themed summer barbecue, and I've always wanted a koi pond, although we simply don't have room for one in real life.  While looking around on the Internet for party ideas, I saw a miniature koi pond, and had the idea of making a Japanese tea garden in a pot.


I made the koi pond from a tutorial by Lesley Shepherd, using Styrofoam for the pond and clear styrene for the water.


It took two weeks of applying clear tar gel to build up the waterfall, bit by bit.



It went into the pot, along with a Bonsai maple (also submerged in its dish), some Bonsai lanterns, various grasses and plants, and a "tea house" made from a wooden birdhouse from Joann.  I wanted a Tori gate but couldn't find one, so I settled for a little Tori-shaped set of wind chimes.  Here is the finished garden with our beloved cat Owen (may he rest in peace), who loved to photobomb my pictures.



If you look closely, you can see a tiny white cat curled up under the bench next to the pond.  😊




I loved sitting on our deck and looking at the garden, and "walking" through it in my mind.


I then made my own tea house for an indoor dish garden.


From there, it was an easy jump to an indoor fairy garden conservatory.  I found a great greenhouse planter on Amazon and made a small scene to fit among the plants.


I used real ceramic tiles for the floor, and the furniture was built from kits from Karen Benson Miniatures.


I had tried to find affordable wicker or wrought iron furniture, but nothing was coming up in my searches.  These were the first pieces I made from kits, and the size (half scale) was dictated by the size of my little greenhouse.  A passion was born.  😊




While looking around for garden/conservatory inspiration, I fell in love with the beautiful greenhouses made by Lady Jane.  (Check them out if you haven't;  they make for some incredible eye candy.)  Unfortunately, they were totally out of my price range, but I found a half-scale greenhouse kit on Etsy and took the plunge.  I opened it, read the instructions, and packed it all up again three times before getting the courage to actually start work on it.  I thought the instructions were crazy when they said to use egg carton for the floor tiles, but, of course, I know now that egg carton is used by a lot of miniaturists to make wonderful, realistic stone.



I bought one set of "Busy Lizzie" plant kits from The Miniature Garden on Etsy, and I bought a set of plastic plants from DeJoux Miniatures.  However, I really wanted to try making my own plants and flowers for the greenhouse.  There are hundreds of tutorials on the Internet, and an excellent article in A.I.M. (Artisans in Miniatures) Magazine Issue 54 had some wonderful suggestions for edge punches I could use to get leaves, flowers and petals small enough to work in half scale.  (If you've never checked out A.I.M., it's worth a look. Their magazines are free online and include a lot of fun and interesting projects, in all scales.)  I cheated a bit and used small shamrocks for my geranium leaves and cut the larger shamrocks from the same punch into quarters to make the hearts for my rose petals.


Climbing rose in progress, next to a toothpick.  The trellis is from Heritage Laserworks.




The right-hand table was an unpainted work table that can be found in various miniature stores online.  The left-hand table is the potting bench kit from SDK Miniatures


The lovely little wicker chair was a splurge from Uncle Ciggies.  I made the remaining tables myself.  The pots are mostly from Braxton-Payne, the bird cage was a charm that I painted, and I made the little gardening set from paper, crochet and unpainted metal minis.  I liked it so much that I ended up making several sets for a half-scale swap.  


And there you have my reintroduction to the world of minis.  Next up—my first house, the half-scale craftsman bungalow from Real Good Toys.

16 comments:

  1. This was awesome! I am so glad you decided to share all of your projects with us since you only recently started sharing your talents with us on the blog!
    It's no wonder that half scale just feels right to you - our first houses make a lasting impression on how small "miniature" should be!
    I love the Japanese Garden planter and would get lost in it, too! The tea house is such a great idea and I would borrow it for sure if I thought I'd ever remember to water the real plants!
    I am a big fan of having several small dioramas and projects and will likely focus a lot more on them in the future after I get my existing kit stock reduced. There are just some ideas I am not ready to let go of yet!
    I am excited to see and hear all about the bungalow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's fun for me, too, to take a walk down memory lane and remember making these different projects, and to remind myself of how far I've come and what I've learned. :-)

      Delete
  2. What a fun walk down memory lane. I too had a metal dollhouse with plastic furniture. I received it the year I wanted to prove that Santa was my parents. I had told them that most people spelled my name C H E R Y L, but Santa had always spelled it the correct way. Therefore, Santa was my parents. The tag on the dollhouse that year was spelled CHERYL! I saw through the ruse.
    Seeing your progression from fairy garden to half scale shows you hit the ground running as a miniaturist. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Your parents were very clever, but apparently not quite clever enough to fool you. ;-) Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. I'm just amazed. You are incredibly adventurous and brave to dive right in with resin and making a pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did not fill the pond with resin, though--it's a sheet of clear styrene (cutting it to fit was scary enough) with tar gel painted on the top to look like water. At the time, I couldn't stand the thought of the fish being permanently set in resin. :-)

      Delete
  4. That Koi pond was amazing! I remember how astonished I was by it the first time I saw it. Thanks for the look back on your past work. It was lovely to be reminded of your artistry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley! That really was a fun party, and who knew then what it was going to get me started on!

      Delete
  5. When you think about your very first metal dollhouse compared to the Teddy Rosevelt room you've recently completed, Oh My but what a distance you've travelled!
    Your re-introduction via the Japanese Fairy Garden was a lovely way to get those mini juices reflowing and your Koi Pond turned out beautifully! Lesley Shepherd was a valuable asset to the world of miniatures and she is still greatly missed! I used to be Amazed at her Incredible Talents especially when it came to miniature plants and how to make them, and I've used her ideas for reference many, many times.
    Your garden sheds and greenhouses are such a Pleasure to see! To date, I've have no experience in working in half scale however, seeing your work makes the thought of working smaller appear very enticing! You certainly have Mastered your craft, Deborah, and I am stoked to see more of your Hidden Talents in future posts!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It has been quite a journey! I didn't know that Lesley Shepherd had passed. That is so sad; she was an incredible resource. Glad you are enjoying the retrospective. Maybe I can make another convert to half scale. ;-)

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful trip down memory lane! I loved seeing these early projects. :) Wow, your half scale flowers are impressive. So much detail for something so tiny. I struggle with not blowing away my pieces on a 1/12 scale one, you must have to hold your breath during assembly. haha.
    That outdoor japanese garden in a pot on your deck is such a great idea and I bet a talking point when guests come around. And awww.. a mini Owen included. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't generally blow things away when I'm working on them :-), but if I drop something on the floor, it tends to be gone for good. It's so hard finding those tiny bits and pieces! And, yeah, Owen. . . . I miss him. :-)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous projects Deb. Isn’t it funny how the seed is planted, and then there is no turning back? When I was young, I had a Mattel Littles Victorian house and the Treehouse family one and yes I still have both! A little worse for wear but that is OK. And I was always making little stuff or sewing for my dolls. I hope you are having a lovely weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wish I still had my first dollhouse. :-) I could at the very least repurpose some of the furniture. I had to buy some items on eBay for my Merrimack, and they were pretty much identical to what I'd had as a child. I loved making things for my second dollhouse, but I never thought back then I would be doing this now.

      Delete
  8. I love fairy gardens! Yours are beautiful and serene. I am most impressed with your memory on how you did what with what etc...
    Owen is a cutie. My Mom had a similarly marked cat named Peter. He was such a cuddle bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! I think some of the memories really stuck because they were firsts for me. Owen was a cuddle bug, too. He loved to be held. Our current cat does not, and I really miss it.

      Delete