Friday, June 28, 2019

The Wine Bottle Challenge




You may remember, in my post that included the half-scale gift basket, I was bemoaning the fact that I couldn't find decent half-scale white wine bottles.  Carrie had the idea of checking Stewart Dollhouse Creations.  They have 3-D printed wine bottles that you can color with glass pens; unfortunately, they only make them in 1:48 scale. I looked on Shapeways, though, and found wine bottles in 1:24 scale.  😊 I ordered a set, as well as the pens recommended by Stewart Dollhouse Creations.  The bottles are in smooth translucent plastic.




I tried both the pens and some Gallery Glass that I had on hand.  (I ordered a sampler set from Amazon a while ago.)  Here are the results.


Going from left to right:  The red glass pen looks too much like ketchup to me.  The green glass pen looks kind of blotchy.  The burgundy Gallery Glass looks way too pale (despite 3 or 4 coats), probably because of the white translucent core.  Because of that, I tried coloring the bottle with a black permanent marker, then adding a coat or two of the burgundy Gallery Glass.  I like the look!  I also like the look of the yellow Gallery Glass for the white wine.  I made a couple more attempts at a green bottle—first with just the light green Gallery Glass, then trying to color the bottle with an India ink pen before using the Gallery Glass.  I'm not happy with either result.  However, I think, based on my tests, I could produce both a red and a white wine bottle color that would be acceptable.

Now here's the problem.  This is the comparison between the same type of half-scale red wine bottles I used in the gift basket, and the new Shapeways bottles.  There is a huge difference! 




The Shapeways bottles are probably closer to reality.  The original wine bottles I got are ¾ of an inch tall, which would translate to 18" in real life.  I measured our wine bottles; they are between 11 and 12", depending on the shape of the bottle.  The Shapeways bottles are 7/16", which is pretty close, but they just seem so small!  Ideally, I would have something in between.  I had a similar issue with the champagne in the Orient Express.  I bought an unpainted metal mini of a champagne bucket with champagne, and a green bottle that I thought could work as a champagne bottle.  They were both listed as half scale, but look at the difference in size!



Ultimately, I went with the larger bottle (which I painted, stuck a label on, and supplemented with miniature ice), as it seemed closer to scale with the rest of the food items, even if a little bit large.



The green bottle (which I still have) could potentially work as a white wine bottle, once it's been given a "cork," but they're pricey--$4.95/bottle!


Here is one of the new bottles next to the gift basket.


Maybe I can use them as sauce bottles (gourmet barbecue sauce? flavored vinegar? ketchup?), but they just don't look right to me for wine.  I've also tried the various bottles in a wine rack.


The original red is too big; it didn't fit in the wine rack at all.   The newer bottles seem a bit small.  *Sigh*  That's the problem with miniatures.  Even items of the same scale can vary greatly in size, and items that are perfectly to scale sometimes don't look quite right.  The search continues.


Hope you all are having a good week, and that your minis are behaving better than mine.  😊


12 comments:

  1. I've noticed that as well. Though generally I measure against real life objects and scale down accordingly.

    Furniture can end up being a big pain too. I love the coloring of your wine bottles though. That red is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same when I'm making things from scratch. But when I'm buying things that other people have made--well, sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great experimentation and thanks so much for sharing the results! I am filing away the black + burgundy bottle for later - it's marvelous!
    If you contact the designer of the Shapeways bottles they may be able to make a simple adjustment and upload for you. Most CAD programs let you increase all three planes by a percentage, so there would be minimal design work involved. Might be worth a try to have a source for the perfect bottles, which you can then bring to life and sell in your future Etsy shop! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an idea. I'll see is s/he is willing to do custom work. I think I have the finish down, if I can just adjust the size.

      Delete
  3. Wow, the difference in scales is really quite astounding. And isn't it funny how the shapeways bottles look ridiculously small against the gift basket but then fits into the wine rack quite well. I like your gallery glass experiments. I agree the permanent marker burgundy combo is perfect for red wine and I like the yellow for white wine also. I think you are being hard on your green experiments because I actually like the last one on the end as well. All in all I think a successful experiment. Now you just need to solve the elusive scale issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green bottle doesn't look quite as nice in real life. The underlying green pen is kind of streaky, though that doesn't really show in the picture. I may be able to find a better green marker, and then I think it could work.

      Delete
  4. sigh.... I feel your pain Deborah, only in 12th scale.
    Often what is listed as, and supposed to be the right scale doesn't look it, but then again, there are many items we use in Real Life, which are either bigger or smaller than average and they can still look just as good, depending on what else they are displayed with.
    Meanwhile your gift basket looks Wonderful!!! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! The correct juxtaposition can be key. :-) And thanks!!

      Delete
  5. I hear ya on true scale versus proportional scale. :\ But, I do think your far right green bottle is spot on in color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The color on the green bottle is good, but I need a less streaky marker to satisfy me. :-)

      Delete
  6. Well, that is a bit of a stinker! But, is a big wine bottle really a problem `hiccup`? They look perfect in the basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love the larger wine bottles, even though they're not true to scale. They just only seem to come in red. :-( Me, I'm a white wine drinker, and I'd like to be able to put some in my gift baskets.

      Delete