Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Making Haste Slowly


Now that I am so near to the end of this project, I find myself slowing down.  You'd think I'd speed up a bit to get it truly finished, but I often find the ending of a build a little sad, especially when I don't have another project waiting in the wings.  By coming up with little side projects, I can delay that final bittersweet moment a bit.

I have been making progress on the rug--a few rows every night.  The border is almost done.  When I started the border, I decided there wasn't enough contrast in it, and so tested outlining the little medallions in navy.  Now that it's nearly done, I don’t think the original colors look all that bad.  I'm debating removing the navy outline altogether, or perhaps just keeping it on the coral-colored medallions (both the light and the darker coral).  I'll see how difficult removing the stitches is.  I really don't want to mess the rug up at this point.  Once that section of the border is done, there will be two rows of the steel blue and one of the navy to fully complete it.




This past weekend, I also made 14 more books for the small bookcase, and hung the curtain on the left-hand window, so I have made a little headway.  😊

In other news, I have been participating (most days) in the #mayminimakers challenge over on Instagram.   It is so much fun to see the incredible work other miniaturists do.  And here is the really exciting part—I've sold some of my work!  For the "lucky penny" challenge, I posted pictures of some little jeweled handbags I had made on a whim using nail art.  I had photographed them next to pennies, just for size comparison.



People asked if I was selling them.  I have always hoped to have an Etsy store someday, but I didn't think I would be making sales quite so soon.  It truly was a lucky penny! 😊  I did make up nicer copies (I've improved a bit since my first few tries), and then someone asked if I could do a roadrunner.  Since I knew she worked in 1:12 scale, I tried both a 1:12 and a 1:24 version, and she took both!




Now I am playing around some more with both 1:12 and 1:24 purses, thereby further distracting myself from the main job at hand.  (One completed design below.)



I really need to do a full-court press on those books!

Hope you all have a great week, and, as always, thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Deb. I love the rug with the darker blue around the medallions. I think the border otherwise gets a little lost. Your little handbags are fantastic. It looks like you have been making them for a zillion years! And as for your books, well, any progress is good, no matter the number. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love making those little purses. I think you are right--that border does need a little something darker to prevent if from all blending together, so I'll be putting the dark blue around the other medallions. :-)

      Delete
  2. I like both with the rug. The lighter is nice given that your floor would be darker but the contrast with the navy is really pretty.

    Your purses are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I've decided to go with the navy. It will take longer to finish, but I think will ultimately work better.

      Delete
  3. The rug - wow! So beautiful! And I know what your project is going to be for the next six months! Making fabulous minis to stock your Etsy store with so that all of us have a chance to own a Deborah Original! Just stunning, Deb! I'm in love with the roadrunner purses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Thank you very much! That might indeed be what my next project will be. ;-) I am having so much fun with them.

      Delete
  4. That’s a beautiful rug. I think the border using your darker blues will add the contrast you are looking for, but either way will be lovely. For me, “finishing is overrated.” I like the process and the satisfaction of conquering the problems along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do think the darker blue is the way to go. I love the process, too. I think that's why I tend to drag it out a bit. :-)

      Delete
  5. Your rug is very beautiful and those hand bags!! I just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, I think you found your niche market with those adorable, fun bags. Your rug is wonderful. I take my hat off to anyone who does such beautiful needlework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Thanks, Carrie. I hope you're doing well. My thoughts are with you.

      Delete
  7. I'm a sucker for visible borders and definitive edges so my preference is for the navy outline of the larger medallions however once the rest of the border is completed, it may not be required. However I hear what you're saying regarding 'making haste slowly', I've been in that mindset for several months in a row: nearly there but dragging my heels the last leg of the journey.
    I must say though, that your handbags are DIVINE!!! I can see why working on those would be more fun than stitching, especially when they are so Darned Cute! The roadrunner has got a LOT of WOW factor with the black leather straps and banding but the white ones are Whimsical with Personality Plus, so Hurry up and open your Etsy, Deborah because I want to be your customer too! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing the border first to be sure, but I think I'm going to end up putting the borders around the medallions. Thanks so much for your kind words on the purses. I am having a lot of fun with them.

      Delete
  8. I know exactly that 'getting to the end of a project' feeling - I get it every time I near the end of a big (embroidery) project. It is exciting and tempting to get it completed as well as quite empty when its done.
    .
    Your rug is wonderful - if you get sick of making those FABULOUSLY FUN handbags, I will be the first lined up for the graphed pattern for the rug LOL - I do think the border needs the dark outline on all the large shapes, especially if the outermost border is navy. I know it will be tedious, but look at the bright side; it is one less thing that will be finished too soon...
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, I think the border needs the darker color inside, too. And it's true--it will definitely make the project last longer. :-) Hadn't thought of selling the pattern. I'd probably need to clean it up a bit, but that would be do-able.

      Delete
  9. I was told you made some purses but I had no idea what they looked like. They are gorgeous! The Roadrunner was my favorite.I want to buy one as well.

    ReplyDelete