Monday, March 23, 2020

Mini Games to Play Online



Not much new to report.  I am still contemplating the stripe color on the exterior of the house.  I have made a new top for the enamel-top table and am working on the stairs now but haven’t made much progress.  My home office shares space with my craft room, and at the end of a long day of working from home, I don’t want to spend any more time inside those four walls! *sigh*  We've been binge-watching a lot.  We zoomed through all the episodes of "The Repair Shop" on Netflix (I can't recommend this show highly enough), and yesterday watched all eight episodes of "The Stranger."

I know many of us are sheltering in place these days, as we try to stop the spread of the Corona virus.  For those of you going a little crazy shut inside and who want to take a break from making minis (wait—who would want to take a break from making minis??), here are a couple of fun online suggestions.

The first is an old one, but may be new to some of you:  The Game of Thornes on the Chicago Art Institute Web site, https://archive.artic.edu/thorne-game/, which uses several rooms from the Thorne Rooms display.  It plays like one of those old quest games (“You are standing in a room, with a door on the right hand side”), only instead of typing in “go left” or “go right,” you click on areas in the pictures to move around or examine things.  You have to make it through the maze of rooms and collect letters for the password in order to escape.  Although it’s part of the archive, it still works, and I was able to escape.  😉

For those who like scavenger hunts, there is https://www.terraclues.com/?view=home.  Each hunt has a series of clues, the answer for which is always a geographic location.  Type your solution into the Google Maps box and, as needed, zoom in to find it on the map.  If your answer is correct, you’ll be taken to the next clue.  There are around 290 hunts available, and it does help greatly to do the tutorial first.  You don’t have to be signed in to do a hunt.  You can also make your own hunts, so I made one for my mini friends:  https://www.terraclues.com/PlayHunt?HuntID=11673  I think most of you will find it pretty easy, but maybe you’ll also find it a little amusing.  When you make a hunt, you can choose to add information and links on your answers, and I tried to go for sites that had interesting content and good eye candy.  If something doesn’t work correctly, please let me know.

Hope you are all staying safe and healthy, and enjoying plenty of time to work on your minis!

11 comments:

  1. What a tease! It’s late, but I have to check out your scavenger hunt 🥴.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, darn! I got the answer, but the map developed an error when I zoomed in. It didn't work on my iPad, or my MacBook Pro.

      Delete
    2. So sorry it didn't work for you. I hadn't thought to test on Apple products. I thought Google Maps worked on all devices. Shoot.

      Delete
  2. I know a lot of people are going stir crazy but honestly, I was way ahead of the curve on this self quarantine thing, neither my husband or I go out if we can help it. But if you're not used to staying home those games will definitely help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you are doing OK. It helps to have Zoom and other platforms to connect with other people, too. I am an introvert by nature, but even I am getting a little cabin fever!

      Delete
  3. I can totally understand just needing to get "off work" and move to another space in the house. Even though we have all of this new "free time" I find myself needing to muster before I can give myself the "OK" to go work on minis, too. My mind feels like I should be keeping vigil with the world in some weird way. Games are a great way to pass some time and keep the mind challenged. We have a Nintendo Switch with lots of games and find it am excellent distraction when needed. Stay safe and I hope the stairs and stripes become inspiring and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Love the "stairs and stripes." :-D I am finally getting back into minis and got quite a bit done on the stairs. Hope to post later this week, but again, computers--in the same room as work. *sigh* Glad you have some good distractions.

      Delete
  4. I'm still looking for that Bible......

    ReplyDelete