Monday, March 16, 2020

A Long Overdue Post



It's been a long time since I posted, for a couple of reasons.  One is that I was working on another swap.  This one is an anonymous swap.  We all filled out questionnaires, and then we were assigned one person to make for/send to.  We of course got the questionnaire of our swap-ee, and I was so inspired by what my person liked and wanted that I had to start working on it.  Unfortunately, everything remains a secret until the recipient receives the swap, so stay tuned.  😊

The other reason is that I was having some difficulty with the deco house.  I got the texture I wanted with my spackle and put on a nice coat of Wicker White.  I carefully marked off the stripes with painters tape, including some special 1/8" painters tape I had to buy from Amazon, as I could not find it locally.  The blue I choose required a lot of coats to cover, and I ended up letting it dry longer between coats than I should have, I guess.  When I removed the tape, large chunks of the blue came with it.
  

I was pretty horrified.  So horrified, in fact, that I went back to working on my swap (which was going much, much better) for another week.  It is now finished.  Last weekend, I peeled off the loose edges, sanded, reapplied the tape and repainted, removing the tape as soon as my last brush stroke was on.  Because I had already aligned all the stripes, I could do one section at a time, which also prevented things from getting too dry before it was time to pull off the tape.  It still needed some touch up, and I'm not super happy with the result, but it's certainly better than it was.  (The roof and second story are still the foam core versions.)





And now I'm wondering if it will be OK to have those blue stripes with the mauve interior.  I don't usually worry about the exterior vs. the interior, but on most builds, you don't really see the exterior right next to the interior.  What do you think?

At the same time I was having problems with my stripes, I was inspired by a photograph I found online to build a little utility table/cabinet for the kitchen.  I needed a work table anyway, and I liked the additional storage, as space is tight in my tiny kitchen.

My first try was an unmitigated disaster.   My plans called for me to cut a lot of the wood to shape, and I don't do well cutting wood by hand.  So that got put on the back burner, too, until this weekend, when I redrew my plans to rely mostly on standard widths and thicknesses of strip wood.  I don't know why I didn't do that from the start.  This is how it turned out.





Not absolutely identical, but pretty close.  The top is currently not glued down but stuck on with double-sided tape.  (You may notice that the side edges are lifting a little.)  I'm trying to decide if I like it or want to try again.  I put a deco design on the "enamel" top, which is made from matboard and cardstock.  Because I did that, I couldn't paint the top; for now, I used clear nail polish to give it a bit of gloss.  (I have to get some of that Krylon Triple-Thick that Jodi uses!) However, because it hadn't been given a base coat of paint, the black paint around the edges seemed to bleed a lot, and I'm not crazy about that. 

I am happy that the door and drawers work!



I used a vintage linoleum pattern I found online as my drawer liner and to line the bottom shelf.  I turned the left-hand drawer into a silverware drawer and the right-hand drawer into a catch-all drawer.  



Almost all the items are from an etched metal set.  The silverware is a little plain (and the spoons don't really have bowls), but I figure they're going inside a drawer, so they're fine.  The catch-all drawer needs a bit more in it.  So far it has a couple of spatulas, a wooden spoon, scissors, can opener, and meat fork.  What else should I include?

Here is the table against the wallpaper I am testing in the kitchen.  This is not the wall it will be on, but was the easiest wall to photograph.



To leave you all on a happy note, I had a new arrival from the Netherlands.  (Yes, I know you can't take a train across the pond, but let's pretend.)


The tiny little bear on the left is my newest addition from AlexandrasBears, whose bears are positively addicting.




He is absolutely adorable and every bit as detailed as his larger brother.  😊  For the time being, he is sitting on the bed for the deco house.

I started working from home last Friday, and, as of tonight, my city is on lockdown.  Don't know how long this will last.  Hoping we are able to nip this outbreak in the bud, and that our lives can go back to normal soon.  Please stay safe and healthy!

8 comments:

  1. I think the mauve will still look nice with the blue stripes. The blue is dark enough that it could be considered a neutral.

    Congrats on your new arrival and I'm glad your swap went well. Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your table. I also really like the image you found. The table looks just like the image. I hope you stay safe and healthy at home. I'm regretting not purchasing more tacky glue the last time I was out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carrie. We are doing our best, and hope all our friends and family stay safe, too. You might be able to order tacky glue online. Some places are even giving discounts or free shipping.

      Delete
  3. Your deco house is really striking in blue and white. However, if it nags at you, you could change it to gray. The little table is super cute. Is the design on drop done by computer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherrill. Yes, it was done on a computer. There is no way my hand is steady enough to have drawn that. :-) Hope you are staying safe, and that you are able to get your kitchen finished soon.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy that the swap projects are going so well and I know that the skill and thought that you are putting in to each tiny gift will make the recipient giddy with joy! What a great feeling to do that for someone!!!

    As for the stripe issues... Great job for stepping back to regroup and come after the problem again with fresh resolve! I often find that when an issue arises for me it is generally an opportunity to rethink a decision and end up with a greater outcome. If the blue is not vibing with the mauve in your mind, listen...

    Our house is constructed with rounded corners where a lot of walls meet. I think this was supposed to be a fancy selling point of the builder's methods when we bought the house. But it does present a challenge when you have different room colors meeting at a corner. To get a smooth and perfect transition line, the expert at Sherwin Williams gave us this advice. And it may just work in mini - worth a try anyway:

    1. Paint the base color and let dry.
    2. Apply the "blue tape" to one side of the dividing line making sure to smooth and seal all the edges.
    3. Paint a 1" strip of glaze all along the line, overlapping on to the blue tape and making sure to get total coverage. Let the glaze dry thoroughly overnight.
    4. Paint your color in a strip about 2" wide, overlapping the blue tape.
    5. While the paint is still wet, peel the blue tape, carefully and slowly, at an angle towards the wet paint.

    This method worked beautifully when Russ and I followed it exactly and I hope when you decide on a new color that it will work for you, too!

    The work table is so neat and such a wonderful period piece! I love it! And I love that you added a divided silverware drawer and a junk drawer! It must be such a great feeling to find these kinds of things in half scale! I keep wanting to try Chris Toledo's Pour On resin method and this table top would make the perfect candidate! I hope you will be the first of all of us to take the challenge!

    The bears are amazing!

    We are so close to Ground Zero here that we are pretty much on lockdown, too, though Russ has been installing kitchens and conference rooms at the downtown Seattle Amazon building from 7pm until 4am and is enjoying the cut-in-half commute time. My job has slowed to a crawl and you'd think with all of the extra time I'd be crafting yet I find myself in stunned immobility. I hope you are right and this will all end soon, though from all I am learning it is likely to be a new normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi! Those are some great tips. I wish I had had the painting tips *before* I painted my stripes. Chris Toledo's Pour On resin method is intriguing, but it looks like he uses it mostly to shape things and then paints over it? I know what you mean on crafting immobility. I think part of the issue for me is that my craft room and home office share a room (opposite walls), and at the end of the day, I just want out. :-) Work has also been incredibly busy and exhausting, as I do a lot of technical support, and this past week has mostly been about ensuring that people are online and have the resources they need. Hope it all starts to feel more normal soon.

      Delete