Friday, December 13, 2019

Meet Jazz the Greyhound



As you may remember from the last blog entry, I really wanted a greyhound for the art deco house.  I could find several miniature greyhounds in 1:12 and one in 1:48, but nothing in 1:24.  (Trying not to whine.)  I looked at charms, but they tended to be too small.  I found a 3D printed greyhound in 1:24, but it was running and not really what I was looking for.  Finally, I decided to try making one myself.  Polymer clay really is not my strength, but I did OK on the animal heads for the Roosevelt library, so I figured, "Why not at least give it a shot?"  I looked at other miniature greyhounds to get a sense of what I wanted mine to look like.  She is made from polymer clay and then painted, and I added microbeads for her eyes. 



I know she is not perfect (and some areas proved tricky to sand, so there is some roughness in close-up), but I am actually pretty happy with her.  Her name is Jazz, and she immediately hopped up on Shannon's chair and made herself at home.



I also tried making an art deco club chair from an SDK kit.  The kit comes with gray suede paper for the upholstery, which was not the look I was going for.  I had a tie that I thought would be perfect, but now that it's done, I'm not so crazy about it.




I think the upholstery is just too dark against the black wood and maybe a little too thick with the brocade texture.  I do have additional kits for a chair and a sofa, but I really need to re-think before I make them up.  I have a nice silvery gray satin tie that might work. 



I could also get thin white leather, which I think would look stunning, except I was planning on doing a black-and-white floor, and I'm afraid that would be too much black and white.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Any advice would be welcome.

Hope you are all getting a chance to enjoy the season and that life is not too crazy!  

14 comments:

  1. I really like the pattern you have on there now. It's so dramatic and that's how I always think of art deco. I love your greyhound, she's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like the pattern, too, and maybe it will make a difference when I see it in the room.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy! I’m enjoying your Art Deco style and Jazz is an adorable mascot. Great first try! Like Sheila, I like the dark colored chair, but I would have to see the setting before I could offer other suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It will help when I do my mock-up, and I'll be able to see it/show it in the planned room.

      Delete
  3. You continue to Astound with your mad sculpting skills! The first thought I had when I saw the dog, was "I wonder where she found such a great Greyhound?" never guessing that you made her! The pose and the colouring is absolutely right for the chair!
    I happened to like the dark upholstery on the chair but perhaps you need the chairs with the other elements, before you make your final decision on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That is a high compliment on Jazz. 😊 Yes, I think I need to see the mock-up before making a final decision on the chair.

      Delete
  4. Jazz is beautiful!! And she does look perfect sitting on the chair! As for the club chair, could the frame parts be stained timber? A medium toned wood (I don’t know my wood species...). With the black frame, I think maybe a mid-tone fabric - the pattern is a little dark to my eye too, but I think the light grey is too light. Maybe even a dull ochre/gold tone, which would add some colour that would go well with black and white but would also match the gold table. Will they be in the same room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the frame is wood, so it could be stained rather than painted, and, yes, it will be in the same room, although not the same area as the leopard chair. I like the idea of the dull ochre/gold. I checked our local Goodwill without success, but I've scoped out a couple of ties on eBay that might work.

      Delete
  5. Jazz is perfect Deborah. I really like the purple fabric too, I think you should wait and see how it fits with the rest of the decor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! I'll show pictures once I get the mock-up done.

      Delete
  6. I think you sell yourself far too short when it comes to your work with polymer clay! Jazz is adorable and immediately you know she is a greyhound! Those ears are perfect! And you nailed the scale perfectly!
    I really like the purple chair and I tried really hard to look for thick fabric and clash with the wood tone, but all I see is an elegant chair!!! I'm no help! Could you find lavender leather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi! 😊 Yes, I could get lavender leather, and that is another possibility that could be very pretty.

      Delete
  7. It's nice to meet you Jazz. You are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Jazz is gorgeous, you've got the scale perfect and she has a darling little face. It's difficult to get faces right, Jazz's is perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete