Monday, September 23, 2019

Gift Basket Update




We were on vacation in San Diego most of last week, but I got some time over this past weekend to work on my prototype gift baskets.  After my first sneak-peek post on the baskets, Sherrill suggested I add handles—perhaps thread wrapped around floral wire.  Well, I thought it was an excellent suggestion, so I did just that.  I used a larger gauge of floral wire for the 1:12 baskets (obviously).  Then I trimmed them both with a bit of holiday decoration—holly for the red basket and a poinsettia for the green basket.  What do you think?





I also had, I think, good success on making the half-scale mugs.  I used this method:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERQFymWkIZ8  I modified things slightly.  Of coruse, I changed the size of the paper strips (mine were just slightly less than ¼ inch wide).  Also, instead of quilling the bottom, I punched out  a circle of card stock.  I used a U.S. size 5 (3.75 mm, size 9 UK/Canadian) knitting needle for wrapping the cup itself.  I started trying to wrap the paper near the tip of the knitting needle, but had difficulty getting my edges to stay even.  Finally, I realized that I could wrap against the back of the needle, butted up against the needle cap, and this worked so much better! 




For the handles, I made my ring around a bamboo skewer.  It has a flat end, so I could push the ring down against my work table to keep it relatively straight.

I used Elmer's glue, because it dries hard and rigid, and I wanted a sturdy mug!  When it was dry, I coated it with a bit of gesso, sanded it, then painted it with white acrylic paint and sanded again with a piece of brown paper bag.  I wanted a thoroughly non-porous surface before giving it two coats of gloss white spray paint. Here you can see my two mugs flanking a manufactured half-scale mug that I already owned.  (Yes, I was experimenting on it with my nail decals, too. 😊)



And here they are with the 1:12 mugs.



I've now completed my 1:12 gingerbread men.




And filled all the baskets.





The half-scale green basket does have a bottle of brandy, but it's so short it doesn't show from the front.




I had a bunch of half-scale candy canes that appear to just be made of wire, but they look pretty good to me, so I put one in each of the smaller baskets.  The 1:12 candy canes I made from polymer clay, in my never-ending quest to actually get good at working with it!

The 1:12 baskets have a bit of extra space, but the 1:24 baskets are crammed pretty full.  Do you think I am missing anything?  Is there something else you would be expecting in a Christmas gift basket that I don't have?  As a reminder, each basket has a bottle of port or brandy, a book, gourmet hot cocoa mix, a Christmas mug, coffee, gingerbread men, chocolates, and a candy cane.

Thanks for stopping by, and hope you all have a great mini week!



17 comments:

  1. They are perfect Deborah. I love everything about them! Good job on the mugs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful! They're perfect for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gift baskets are FABULOUS!!!! I love the handles on them which really takes them uP another notch, AND your arrangement of their generous contents with ltitle touches of Christmas is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gift baskets are adorable! The handles do add a lot, as do the little decorations and the plaid lining. I’m amazed that you were able to get so many holiday items inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baskets couldn't be more festive or perfect! I love the little handles! The mugs look so amazing you'd never guess they began as paper! I think you've managed to include every kind of seasonal delight in them, and any recipient is going to feel very special just to have received one! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really pleased with how the mugs turned out.

      Delete
  6. Wow Deborah, I am in awe of those tiny mugs! Very very cool. And the baskets look lovely with their handles and trim, definitely finishes them off neatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It turned out to be a great option for making mugs that could work in half scale. You can make them even tinier, but then my nail decals wouldn't fit. 😉

      Delete
  7. I squeed over the itty bitty cups! Gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it amazing what quilled paper can be used for? :-)

      Delete
  8. The baskets are wonderful Deborah, the handles and decorations such a perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I love everything about your gift basket Deborah but if you have extra space perhaps you could add a tree decoration like a star or bauble... or you could add a Christmas themed candle ☺️ More is more in minis 😂

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don’t think many of websites provide this type of information. food gift baskets

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. Persiane in ferro Tortoreto

    ReplyDelete