Monday, September 2, 2019

Finishing the Fairfield Bathroom




My efforts to complete or upgrade certain rooms in my Fairfield continue.  For the bathroom, I used the 1:24 scale laser-cut bathroom kit from Greenleaf.  It's not the most elegant, and I don't think I would use it for fixtures, but for shelves and mirrors it worked just fine.  Although it's very hard to see in the pictures, I followed Jodi's lead and added some detail to the top borders.  I didn't have any stickers that would work, so I used some of my punches to cut card stock and glue on.   I should have taken pictures before painting everything white.  *sigh*  I also swapped out the tin foil they gave me for real mirrors, and put a dowel in for the towel holder, instead of the little straight piece of laser-cut wood they provided.   Using various beads, dowels, the cap to an eyeliner pencil and some paper cut-outs, I did my best to fill the shelves.  The fancy perfume bottle on the mirror ledge is actually meant to be a salt shaker, but I thought it was a bit large for that purpose.  I gave it a little paint, and now I think it makes a very elegant toiletry item.




I did have one fancy glass canister that I filled with pink sand as "bath salts" and put on the little corner shelf.  The stock of towels are from a half-scale swap, and I think fit very nicely on their shelf.  The little bath brush is made from strip wood and a bit of velvet for the "bristles."


I found the pattern for the bathmat on the Internet, although now, unfortunately, I can't tell you where.  It is worked on 36-count Evenweave.  It's teeny, but it's just the right size for the bath tub.

One of my readers asked me to do a tutorial on how I finish my rugs, so here it is:

The first thing I do when a rug is complete is put Fray Check around the edges where I will be trimming it.  If I will be doing a fringe, I'll put the fray check right up against the stitching.  If I'm going to be turning under some of the cloth, I put the Fray Check a few threads out, in the area where I'll be trimming.  It tends to spread, so it's pretty easy to get the coverage you need and then some.


When the Fray Check is dry, I trim the fabric.  On this piece, I trimmed it about six threads out all the way around.  Six threads on the narrow ends will be fringe, and I'll be turning under six threads on the long ends.  At this point, I don't trim the corners.  I find that when I do that, it's very hard to get into the little threads at the corners when I'm trying to whip-stitch my edges.  They want to just unravel, even with the Fray Check.


I weave my thread into the back of my work near the edge, with the thread ready to start at one corner.


I then bring my thread through to the front, and insert it around one thread, back to front.  This naturally folds my edge to the back.


I keep doing this all way the way along the edge.  If I'm seeing a little too much fabric showing through in places, I'll generally just do a second stitch in the same thread, which helps with coverage.  It doesn't have to be absolutely perfect.  When you're done, one edge is folded back.  Do the same on the other edge.


Now I trim my corners.  I angle them in a bit to ensure that they won't be showing when the rug is right side up.  I can still have some issues with bothersome little threads at the corners. (Look at the lower right corner in the picture below.)  If that happens, I use a tiny bit of Tacky Glue for Fabrics or some Fabric Tack to hold those little threads back and down.

Since I'm doing a fringe, I don't make an angled cut in the border of the narrow edges.


Next I pull the cross-wise threads from the fringed edges.  This can be a little harder with the Fray Check, but it's not much harder.

(Sorry for the bad picture.)  If the fringe is too long, it can easily be trimmed.



I finish the rug by ironing a piece of feather-weight, fusible interfacing to the back.  The interfacing is cut just a bit smaller than the rug, so that it catches any turned-under edges, but won't show from the front.


Et voila!  A tiny little rug.  😊



Some more photos of the completed bathroom.






I’m sure Miss Penelope and Effie will be much happier using this room now, particularly since there is now a shade in place to provide a little privacy.

And now a sneak peek at another little project I've been working on.  I think the baskets need a bit more embellishment.  Maybe some holly leaves? 


I've also been experimenting with "ribbons" for the chocolates.  I think the bunka (second from left) work best for the 1:12, and the gold thread (far right) works best for the 1:24.  What do you think?




Have a great week, everyone.  Hope all your mini projects exceed your expectations!

16 comments:

  1. I think the little bath mat is my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the upgrades you made to the kit! I used the 1/12th scale version in my Sweet Christmas Cottage bathroom and was able to use the Cricut to create raised panels for the pieces. With a little creativity and elbow grease, the kits can be turned into a really affordable and cute bathroom like yours! I have such a hard time coming up with good bath accessories and I bet with half scale it's even more challenging. But there's no match for your mini eye and creativity! They are adorable!
    Love the rug! I admire your stitching skills! And those chocolates are making me feel the need for a trip to See's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I know what you mean on the chocolates! Thanks so much. Yes, it is hard to find good bathroom accessories in half scale, but I do love a challenge. 😊

      Delete
  3. Thank you for showing us your bathroom improvements. Your stitching has inspired me to try making a mini rug, I may have to bug you later with questions.
    I love the chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And feel free to bug me on the rugs. I hope you have great success with yours!

      Delete
  4. Such a Charming bathroom you've made and I Loving your upgrades on the Greenleaf Bathroom fittings.
    Your bath mat is Perfect for it as are the various accessories which are dressing up the shelves as it's those tiny yet vital extra details which brings a space Alive and adds personality Plus no matter what the scale! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree that accessories really help add to the realism of any build.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely little bathroom it has turned out to be. The conversion of the salt and pepper shakers to perfume bottles is just perfect.
    The chocolate boxes are 'to die for' and I think you are right about the ribbons for the bows.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again, you make half-scale look so easy. I love your little bath mat and all the tiny accessories. You are spot on with the “ribbon” for the chocolate. The one on the right is the best. The baskets are quite nice. One suggestion: the kind of carrying handles that attach near the center of each long side and flop up for carrying and down over the ends for loading. Would wire covered with thread work? We did a similar one as a club project. Mine is at the bottom of this page, https://eugeneminis.org/home/achievements/finished-projects/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just check out your basket. My biggest concern would be making the handles movable, so they wouldn't interfere with filling the baskets. However, the way you have done yours would work well, as they show, but are not really in the way. Thanks! I like the idea of wrapping thread around wire, too.

      Delete
  7. Such a sweet bathroom Deb. Where is the bath from? It’s lovely. And all the other furnishings look great, you have made them all beautiful. And I had never considered ironing out bunka, but will have to try. Have a great weekend ahead. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The bath was 3D printed by Shelley of Mini-Etchers. https://www.minietchers.com/store/p262/1%3A24_Scale_Claw_Foot_Tub.html The standing faucet also came from her. https://www.minietchers.com/store/p269/1%3A24_Scale_Standing_Faucet.html I forget where I learned about using bunka for miniature ribbon, but I've used in several times on half-scale packages, and it works great!

      Delete
  8. Oh the changes you have made are lovely Deborah and really finish the room off perfectly. I agree with Jodi, your half scale accessories are spot on and very creatively made. Tucking away the eyeliner lid idea. :) That Bath mat is really spectacular! Oooh.. are you making Christmas themed gift baskets? Can I put my order in now? :D I'm so obsessed with your gift basket idea.. lol.. I want to make little Australian themed ones with jars of vegemite and a stuffed koala or Kangaroo. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! Yes, I am working on Christmas gift baskets. More in another post. I love your idea of Australian ones with vegemite and stuffed koalas. Will you make them or buy them? Maybe these? https://www.amazon.com/Koala-Clip-Pencil-Huggers-Pack/dp/B01ETK1ABE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=koala&qid=1567923308&s=office-products&sr=1-1 😊

      Delete