Tuesday, April 9, 2019

A One-Year Anniversary and Some Slippers for Mr. Roosevelt



It has been one year since I made the first piece of furniture for the Roosevelt library.  As I suspected would be the case, the project has taken a full year, and I'm not quite done yet.  For one thing, I am still waiting for the materials to finish the ceiling.  I am about to cancel the order and go elsewhere.  *sigh*

Fortunately, during this period of downtime and just before last weekend (not this past one), I got an inspiration for a thank you gift for Sam.  Unfortunately, I can't post pictures of what I worked on without ruining the surprise.  I will say that I am very happy with the way things turned out.  The gift is something I've assembled.  Most items I've made, a couple of items I had to purchase (although I then modified them), and I'm even including something from my childhood dollhouse.  And those are all the teasers you're going to get.  😉

Last week was a difficult week at work, and this past weekend was busy with other non-mini events, so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked.  I did get the paper on the ceiling.  When the ceiling is off, I'm not super happy with the fact that you can see seams where I had to piece.  However, when it's in place, you really don't see them, so I'm good with it.


Also, Sam's gift reminded me that I have put shoes and/or slippers in nearly every build I've done, but I had nothing for this one.  There are no shoes or slippers in any of the pictures I've seen, but I decided to take some of the leftover leather from the brown chair and make a little pair of men's slippers.  I will put them under the desk.  That way, when Mr. Roosevelt is hard at work on government business, he can take off his shoes and slip on more comfortable footwear.  😊


To round things out, I thought I'd post some pictures of Sam's gifts in situ.  The ship is in Jim's study.  I had a ship in there, because I really wanted Jim to have a model ship, but it was a metal mini that I had painted and didn't look nearly as nice as this one does.  The new one looks right at home.


The purse is on the kitchen counter.  I have a feeling that when Margot comes back from shopping, that is exactly where the purse ends up.  


Once I had it in place, it became glaringly obvious that I needed a set of keys next to it.  So I purchased some little 1:24 laser-cut keys off eBay.  The key chain is simply gold thread and yet another bit of fingernail art.


The shoes are in the bedroom, on the bed for now.  That is where my new shoes end up when I first bring them home.  They may move to another location at some future date, but for now I like them in their box.



And that's it.  Hope you all have a great week, and thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. I know the ceiling will look great when it's finished. The purse and shoes look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love revisiting all the photos from the Merrimack! Such an awesome build! I hope the ceiling trims show up before your next allotment of mini time, and I can't wait to see what you made for Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly loved working on the Merrimack. It's nice to be able to continue adding to previous builds. That way, the project never really ends. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Deb. It’s frustrating waiting on stuff in the mail isn’t it? Been doing a bit of that myself lately too. But fun to have new little treasures to place in your rooms. Can’t wait to see what you made Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I even e-mailed the vendor to ask for an ETA on shipping, and haven't received a reply. Unfortunately, they are the only ones I know that sell the trim I need.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh you are killing me with the hints. I’m so excited!! :D Nothing worse than waiting on the mail, so frustrating to be sitting around waiting, when inspiration is striking. I certainly can’t see the ceiling join, maybe you can point it out for us. ;p. I’ve had a difficult week at work too, so I feel your pain... Let’s hope next week is better for both of us! A little mini time always helps though, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a Treat!!! Sam's Lovely gifts to you, have found the ideal homes and you've displayed each of them very naturally! I also LOVE your leather slippers- they are Exactly what a man would wear and I am pretty sure that Teddy will appreciate them, in his wonderfully warm and snug looking library.
    Although it's a large room, and is filled with an such an eclectic mix of all the things Teddy cherishes, it looks and feels Very Cosy, and if it weren't for that ankle-biting little badger on the loose, I personally, would be in there ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. I almost spit out my coffee laughing when I read your final comment about Josiah. Yes, I think I'd be keeping my feet tucked up under me if he was wandering around the room. :-)

      Delete