Thursday, March 28, 2019

The Ceiling Solution


Having tested my foam core ceiling and realized how a fixed ceiling would impede access to the room, I decided that a removable ceiling was definitely the way to go.  Using the cove as a "lip" on which to rest it also appealed to me.   I liked Jodi's idea of fastening the cove to the ceiling, so that when I inserted it, it would stay nicely in place.  However, with the animal heads affixed to the wall up near the cove, I was afraid they would be at risk every time I put the ceiling back on.  My solution was to create a lip within a frame.  The frame would attach permanently to the walls, and the lip would extend in over the cove.  The "stepped" framework would allow for exact placement of the ceiling each time, as well as make it more stable (I hope).



Cutting wood is not my strongest skill, and it's also one of my least favorite things to do, so for the "frame" of the ceiling, I used a combination of strip wood and plywood.  The part that sits over the fireplace and inglenook has a layer of my leftover board and batten on the part that will face down into the room.  That is because, according to the Historic Structure Report for Sagamore Hill, the real-life inglenook has a tongue and groove ceiling.  (Yes, I know no one will ever see it, but I'll know it's there.) The board and batten is 1/16" thick.  To get a 1/4" thickness (in keeping with the rest of the room box), I added a layer of 1/16" plain basswood, then a layer of 1/8" plywood all glued together with wood glue and clamped with about a dozen clamps.  (Seriously.  We had to make a run to the hardware store to buy more clamps to make sure I had enough.) 



 The main part of the ceiling frame is made from 3/8" and 5/8" strip wood.   The 3/8" strip wood came in a 1/8" thickness.  The 5/8" inch came in 3/32," so I added a layer of chipboard to the base to bring it up to 1/8" thickness.  In an effort to create further stability, I had the cross-wise (back wall) strip of the 5/8" wood run from the left wall to the inglenook ceiling, and the 5/8" pieces that run along the side walls butt up against it.  However, the 3/8" side wood pieces run all the way from the front edge to the back wall, and the cross-wise 3/8" strip is inserted in between them.


This creates a lip all the way around on which to place the ceiling.


I glued the frame to the engineered piece that fits over the fireplace and inglenook, and puttied and sanded the join.


I then cut two pieces of 1/8" thick plywood—one to fit within the lower lip of the frame:


And one to fit on top over the ceiling and the lip, and within the top layer of the frame:


One piece was cut lengthwise on the plywood sheet; the other was cut cross-wise.  I was hoping that that would also provide more strength and stability.   More wood glue and clamping later, I had a single ceiling/roof piece that fits within the frame and on top of the lip.  Edges were puttied and sanded (although the exterior will all be covered at some point) and all the wood was primed and sanded.



View inside:


There will be cove in place around the top of room, and there will be trim (similar to the picture rail trim but painted green) around the inner underside of the lip.  This will help cover up the join between the lip and the removeable ceiling.

Detail from the actual ceiling
The underside of the ceiling itself will get embossed paper (and paint).


The embossing on the sheets doesn’t show up very well.  It's this pattern.  Unfortunately, as you can see, no matter how I position them the sheets won't cover the ceiling without a bit of piecing.  *sigh*  Now I'm just waiting (im)patiently for my trim and cove to arrive.  <tapping foot>


Since there isn't much eye candy in this post, I thought I'd post a picture of the main rug in progress.  I looked everywhere for a miniature rug pattern that I thought was close to the original.  Finally, I gave up, and made up my own pattern.  You can see, in the upper-left-hand corner, how it will look with the dark blue background filled in.  It's far from perfect, but it will mostly be covered up by the lion skin rug anyway.  I'll also have to design a border for it.


It is being worked in tent stitch on 28-count linen.

Then I got the most wonderful surprise in the mail yesterday!  Samantha (BluePrint Minis) sent me some gifts all the way from Australia.  Because she knew how much I liked the work of Tiny Finery (whose Etsy store never seems to be open anymore), she picked me up the sweetest little pair of shoes and a handbag at the Brisbane Miniature Show!  The shoes come in their own little shoe box with tissue paper, just like a real pair of shoes.  Then she added one of her flotilla of tiny model ships, because I had mentioned how much I like miniature ship models!  All of these adorable treasures have already found their way into the Merrimack (my mid-century modern house), where Margot and Jim, the imaginary owners, are thrilled and delighted with their gifts (as am I).  😊  More pictures to come.  Thank you, Samantha!


Thank you all for visiting and have a great weekend!  Happy mini-ing!

11 comments:

  1. Your ceiling solution is brilliant! I'm a huge fan of anything removable. And I love how your rug is going. It'll be so pretty.

    Such sweet gifts! I know the new owners will enjoy them for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The removable ceiling is going to make my life so much easier. And, yes, the owners have already taken possession and placed the items in the house. :-)

      Delete
  2. What a perfect solution, and the end results look seamless and wonderful! You did a great job fitting it all together and the cuts look perfect! I love the combination of trims and the cove molding looks exactly like what it's supposed to!
    That rug! I love it! You did an awesome job with the pattern, and it's a shame that only part of all that work is going to show!
    The tiny bag, shoes with box and sail boat are wonderful! That Sam is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi! I haven't put the cove in yet. That picture is of the ceiling in the real library. I hope mine ends up looking as good! Yes, Sam is wonderful. I really love my gifts!

      Delete
  3. I’m so glad they arrived safely, and also glad that Jim is into model ships. :)
    The roof solution is brilliant. Ensuring correct placement every time. Despite your lack of enthusiam for cutting wood, you’ve done a precision job. But I’d expect no less from you of course. :D
    I expect the piecing of the ceiling paper will not be noticeable once you are finished with it. I reaaly like your rug pattern and I admire this skill. I’m sure it takes much patience. Well, it seems like you are almost finished with this project, do you have another waiting in the wings? Do tell... inquiring minds want to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's still quite a bit left to be done--more books, finish the rugs, put in the cove and trim, and finish the exterior, so I'm not quite done yet. After this, I may just play around with making various items for my display box, while I decide what to do next. And, of course, I have some little things in the works that will soon be making their way to Australia. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Deb. Looks like your solution for the ceiling is spot on. I agree that having it removable will be helpful - repairs, cleaning, photos will all be much easier and will limit damage from hands reaching inside. And the little handbag and shoes! I too love Tiny Finery stuff (FYI she also knots asorably Blythe sweaters and dresses!). These are perfect for mid century modern. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Shannon! I wish Tiny Finery would re-open her Etsy store, but she probably does a pretty good business just at fairs. Would love to see her knitted stuff, but I'm guessing that's not half scale! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This room just keeps getting Better and Better! :D
    I am loving how the ceiling looks with the trims and the removable ceiling solution was IDEAL!
    For some reason I didn't realize that you had more than one animal skin rug in this room but OH WOW, do they ever look good together! Even so, the replacement rug your currently stitching is going to be Stellar once it's finished and installed!
    BTW, I also LOVE the new shoes and handbag - Classic and very Smart looking, and so is the model ship too! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think the rug will work, and, yes, the shoes, ship and handbag are truly amazing. The handbag and shoes appear to be real leather!

      Delete
  7. I adore all your posts. Those gifts are so sweet! And of course you made your own pattern for the rug. I wish I had your talent and your patience.

    ReplyDelete