In my continuing effort to make the animals for the library, I made a second goat about the size of my first completed goat. (The very first one I made is on the left, below; the new one I made is in the middle.) Unfortunately, it goes over the door, and I forgot that I have less space there. The middle goat head was too big by about 1/8 of an inch. *sigh* So I made yet another one (the one on the right). It is only about the size of a dime, and I shaped its base around a piece of the picture rail that runs around the room, so that it can fit over the rail when hung.
Next I moved on to what I initially thought was some species of antelope. Based on its coloring and lack of markings, however, I've decided it's actually some kind of sheep. In any event, I only had a picture to work from this time, but I am very pleased with how he turned out. (OK. I had one first try that never made it to the baking stage, because I fiddled around with his head for so long that the clay got a little too warm, and his neck basically turned into a ribbon.) But this guy I like. 😊 I initially had his eyes in the wrong place (more on the top of his head), so I filled them in and did a second short bake, then I used my pin vise to drill holes in the correct place (on the sides of his head). I actually like the way the drilled holes worked for housing the microbeads. Here he is painted and ready for flocking.
He was much quicker to flock, because I only needed the powder flock. There were no "long" fur pieces that I needed to attach. However, I couldn't find a color of floss I liked, so I used two colors—one a bit darker and one a bit lighter than I wanted. I pulled each color's six strands of DMC floss apart, then alternated the two colors in the bunch of strands I used for snipping my flock (see steps 12 and 13 in this link). Together, they made the color I wanted. I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut the mounting plaque—it's three layers of thin chipboard and one of mahogany scrapbooking paper.
After I glued him to the plaque with JB Weld, I filled in around the edges with more flock.
My second goat is on the right, above. He looks a bit fluffier than the first one. With him, I put a layer of the powder flock all over him before laying down the longer pieces of "fur." Mountain goats have quite heavy coats, for obvious reasons. I think I'm going to add a little more powder flock to the face of my first goat. My brother thinks my goats look a lot like dogs (except for the heavy brows), and there is definitely more of a "cute" factor to all my animals than their real-life counterparts.
I am going to take a break before making the boar's head, for which I want to try the air-dry clay that Brae recommended. There is at least one more chair to make, probably two. I received an engraving tool from my mother for Christmas, and there is a carved chair in the library that is calling my name. . . . 😊