Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Lighting






Well, it's been a frustrating couple of weekends.  Things got off to a good start with my little lamps on the desk and by the brown leather chair.  I painted the cord on the desk lamp brown (it was originally white) so that it wouldn't stand out as much and got that lamp in place.  I had to make a minor adjustment to the table lamp.  Originally, I had a piece of metal tubing at the top of the base.




However, there is a thick, coated bit between the bulb and the wires.  It was too big to fit within the metal tubing I had, so it sat up on top, causing the bulb to be higher than the lamp shade could accommodate.



So I removed the original metal tubing and instead made my own tube from a foil stove burner liner (a little heavier than aluminum foil).  My tube is big enough to fit around that coated part.  (I'm not explaining this well, I'm afraid.)  Anyway, the bulb now fits within the shade.  Yay!  Although the painted shade is a bit dark and doesn't let a lot of light through, I can assure you, it does work.



The cords for both lamps are in a groove between the floor and wall.



I had an idea for making my own lamp for the table by the flowered chair.



Problem one came with the base.  I cut the bottom part of it from wood, drilled a hole in the center, and cut a groove for the cord.  I wanted to cover it with some shiny metallic Duck tape I had, but it would not stick to the wood.  I even tried various glues, without success. 


I then tried some shiny origami paper and was able to get that to stick.  The next part of the base was going to be a stack of clear round beads.  Unfortunately, they did not want to stick together in a nice, straight line without also blocking the holes through which the wires needed to pass.  I tried a couple of sizes of beads, to no avail.  I truly spent two Saturday mornings and a few evenings working on this, trying various glues and techniques, before finally throwing in the towel.


I took the lamp I was originally going to use, which had a super shiny brass base, and painted it silver.  


The original shade had met with an accident and been crushed, so I made a new shade from velum paper.  It has not been glued on yet, because I still need to add the ruffles around the top and bottom.  I have ordered some fairy lace in various shades of gray that I'm hoping I can get into decent-looking ruffles.  I first tried tissue paper, which I thought I could sort of crumple into ruffles, and that was a resounding failure.  I have made ruffes from fairy lace in the past, though, so my fingers are crossed that that will work well enough this time.



 Now that the wires are in place, I have put in more baseboard, and will soon finish the doorway.

Still trying to track down the picture that goes under George Washington on the back wall.  Samantha (hi!) found a video from Sagamore Hill that almost shows the picture.  Actually, it does show it, but it's a little too blurry to identify.


The picture appears to be a man waving his hat, and possibly riding a horse or steer.  He also seems to have long hair.  I've tried searching for pictures of TR campaigning, TR as a rough rider, various generals that TR might have admired, and even Buffalo Bill Cody (who knew TR, had long hair and had rough riders in his Wild West show), without success.  I tried Google images, but it matched it to soft-focus images of black-and-white landscapes.  I've e-mailed the folks at Sagamore Hill National Historic Site twice to ask what it is, but they haven't responded. I'm guessing they think it's just a really odd request, and they're ignoring it.  *sigh* 

I am off next week (yay!), so should have more time to work on the library.  I have a few little projects planned.  😊

14 comments:

  1. Lighting is always insane. I feel your pain!

    Have fun next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Electrical is always the worst part, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. It must be the fates telling you to take a mini-vacay to sunny Long Island, New York!!!! DO NOT listen to them. Listen to me, you are doing a wonderful job, and the library is awesome. That little lamp can just sit there until you are ready to improve it. And those docents at the library would be fired by Teddy himself if he knew what slackers they are!
    Take Care, and enjoy your mini time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me burst out laughing! Thanks so much for your encouragement and your humor!

      Delete
  3. Hi! (waves), You lighting all looks wonderful Deborah. I think the silver lamp is a good option, especially once you gussy up the shade with ruffles. :D I LOVE the green lamp. It is a beauty, just love it's style and your rendition is perfect.. That picture is going to drive me as crazy as it is you. You know I love a good mini sluething project. lol. Looking at your screen capture here, I swear there is a dog in front of the man waving the hat. Or it could be the hood of a car? It's killing me!.. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's driving me crazy, too. I'm usually a better researcher than this! Every time I look at it, I think I see something different. I'm not the best judge of these things--before I found out what the Promethean Man statue was, I was sure it was a bird of prey! :-D I've been looking through archives and old pictures of the house, but still no luck in identifying it. Thanks for the kind words on the lamps!

      Delete
    2. Gah, I’m pulling my hair out over this lol... is that a lady in a long dress beside him??

      Delete
    3. There does seem to be something white, but I'm not sure if that's part of the picture or a reflection of light off the glass.

      Delete
  4. I always seem to reach a point in every project where the problem rear their heads in bunches and it really lets the steam out of my mojo. I am glad you kept at it! The green lamp looks wonderful in spite of the low light and I hope the Fairy Lace works easily for you.
    I found this art walk thru by Google. You've probably already seen it. BUT, I'm wondering if you write Google if they can't find out what the photo is for you.
    https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/nQLiVHOCgDXMJA
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have seen that walk-through. Google did a whole bunch for Sagamore Hill (https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/sagamore-hill-national-historic-site) and I'm pretty sure I've looked at every single one of them. :-) I ran through them again after getting a sense of what the picture should be. The biggest problem is that, in every shot of the room, the stupid lamp is blocking my view! I never thought of contacting Google. I could try.

      Delete
  5. You little green lamp turned out so well and I am pretty sure that given your persistence that you will find a new way to duplicate the glass table lamp too. The detail on the shade could perhaps be simulated with chenille yarn or unravelled bunka?
    Confirming the true identity of the man in the mastery photo might take you some time but just from the ghostly outline I would hazard the same guess as you that it IS Buffalo Bill Cody- Yeee Hawww!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I did think of chenille yarn for the shade, but most chenille would be too thick in half scale. Unraveled bunka is a great idea! I may play around with that. And, yes, I'm not giving up on the mystery photo. I keep looking at photos of Buffalo Bill, hoping I'll find a match.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete