Sunday, July 28, 2019

One Project Ends, Another Begins



I finished the final rug.  I think that might have set a land speed record for me.  The big rug took around five months.  This one (which is considerably smaller) took two weeks.  It's not an exact match to the original, but I think it's close enough.




You can see it in place in the photo below.  It just fits!




Now that it's truly finished, the library has moved to a bookshelf.  The shelf it's on is almost perfectly at eye level, which makes peeking into the room a delightful experience.  😊




So happy with my little treasure.

And now it’s on to other projects.  As promised, I have gone back to the Fairfield to finish a few things.  I've started with the kitchen garden, since what I most felt like doing was making miniature plants.  Isn’t it wonderful how making miniatures involves so many different skills and elements?  If you get tired of doing one thing, you can just do something else for a while.  Anyway, here is the start of my garden.



I made a set of steps patterned on the front steps to the Fairfield (although not quite as wide).  They will fit in the gap I left in the foundation.  They have been attached to a piece of bass wood cut to fit in the "L" of the Fairfield, although it is a bit deeper and will extend somewhat beyond the right side.  I had to have enough space for a decent garden, after all.  The wood has been painted brown and covered with dried coffee grounds as soil.  I still have a lot of the egg carton stone I used on the foundation, so I put some of it to work to make a little walkway.  Mostly I just filled in between the stones with coffee grounds, but I also added a bit of moss made from flock.  The chickens are so excited!  They are looking for bugs and seeds, although I'm afraid they won't find either.  (Keep your eyes peeled, though, when I post pictures of the finished garden.)   I’ve started making some vegetables, and guess whose tutorial I found on the Web? Our own Jodi of My Miniature Madness has a great, simple tutorial for a vegetable garden that I’ve been adapting to work in half scale!


I’ll provide information on how I made the various vegetables when I post the finished garden, but for now, I’ll leave you with some pictures that will give you a hint as to some of the things I’m “planting.” ;-)





Have a great mini week, everyone!

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having the library officially finished and displayed! The final rug looks amazing in spite of it's comparatively quick finish! It's amazing how a little motivation can hurry us along!
    Seeing the library displayed next to normal sized books really gives a great perspective on it's size. And just how incredible each detailed replica you've made from scratch is! Bravo!
    I love seeing the back steps and planting beds with the chickens! This garden is going to be so much fun to see happen, and I am so glad you'll be able to adapt some of the veggie tutorials into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been having a lot of fun with the veggies. I was so happy to find your tutorials! I am very pleased with the garden so far.

      Delete
  2. Oh that looks so cool! I love the rug and everything just fits so perfectly.

    Can't wait to see more of your garden. I'm sure the chickens will enjoy it greatly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love walking by the bookshelf and seeing it there. The chickens are having a great time in the garden, and so am I!

      Delete
  3. How fun! A charming little garden will be so neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will. And Effie (that's the name I have give the maid) is going to love being able to step outside the kitchen and gather some fresh veggies, herbs (and eggs).

      Delete
    2. Should be "I have given." *sigh*

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful discovery to make when perusing the bookshelves. I can just imagine peeking in between the books and making this delightful discovery. :D The final rug looks great and all that stitching you’ve been doing has made you Speedy Gonzales! I can see you are making the chickens very happy. They’ve been waiting a long time for this garden. :D im not much of a gardener so my knowledge on plant types is limited at best but I do see butternut pumpkins (I think you call the squash in your neck of the woods) and leeks, cabbage, beans and carrots. Can’t wait to see what else you have planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The chickens are very happy, and I have something more in store for them, too. ;-) I'm not much of a gardener, either, so I hope my plants will be recognizable. You are definitely on the right track with the veggies!

      Delete
  5. Wow Deb, two weeks to make the rug? Impressive! And it looks stunning. You’ve done an amazing job at reproducing the room and now I look forward to gardening progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? That's the fastest I've ever stitched anything! Thank you so much! The garden is coming along well, and there will be another post on that soon.

      Delete