Monday, March 11, 2019

Pondering the Ceiling and a Side Project

This weekend I cut out a foam core ceiling for the library to test it.  It does truly give a sense of the room as a room, but you really need to look at it at eye level to see inside.  Even with the lights on, it's a bit dark (please excuse the surrounding mess on my work table) and getting my hands inside will be very tricky once the ceiling is in place.



Viewing it at eye level won't really be a problem, since the shelf where I intend to put it is at the right height, but I'm still not entirely sure what I want to do here.  Being able to get into it is more of an issue. A completely removable ceiling is not a great option, since there is a cove where the ceiling and walls meet.  What might be ideal is if I could figure out a way to slide the center piece of the ceiling (the piece inside the trim) in and out as needed.  Still thinking about it.


On a positive note, I have now finished filling the large bookcase – 417 books so far!


I still need to finish filling the smaller bookcase, but it should not take as long, as there are fewer shelves to fill and some just have large books lying on their sides.

While pondering my decision on the ceiling, I've taken a needed break from bookmaking to try a few other things.  Some friends on Greenleaf (hi, Carrie!) have been making gorgeous clothes for a room box project, and it made me want to try a few things in half scale.  I have made a couple of half-scale clothing items in the past:

My very first effort-a simple dress for the attic of the Fairfield
Coat, hat and shoes for the Orient Express


This time I want to try something more complex.  I now have a book of patterns and techniques specifically for 1:24 clothes, and I have some ideas for Victorian/Edwardian dress.  At the very least, I can display them in my new shelf unit.

I started small with a couple of little corsets.  To keep things simple, I used this pattern.  The fewer pieces to work with in half scale, the better.  😊 I shrank the pattern down so that it is about .9" in height.  My corsets are cut from a very lightweight, fine nylon jersey material, the kind used for making underwear.  Because almost all braid is too thick for half scale, I used flower thread, which is thicker than a single strand of embroidery floss, but not as thick as perle cotton.  I learned from Emily at Den of Slack that it makes great welting for half scale upholstery, so I thought I'd try it as braid on clothing and am pleased with the result.  I also used fairy lace, which I ruffled along the bottoms by making a running stitch through it using a fine needle and some sewing thread.  The little bows are made from some 2mm-wide silk ribbon.  The little buttons are clear pearlescent microbeads.  I really wanted to add a rosette, but there really aren't any small enough to work in half scale, so I made a little knot from a single strand of embroidery floss and topped it with a larger pink microbead.



In the above picture, I put them on mannequin cut-outs, because they were so difficult to photograph otherwise!  Below, you can see the pink corset laid out on the bed in the Fairfield, ready for my imaginary homeowner to put on.


Have a great mini week, everyone!

12 comments:

  1. I love how the room looks. Maybe if you did a tray ceiling and gave it some interest? Instead of being so flat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foam core ceiling is just a test, to see how I like the top enclosed. The actual ceiling would have trim as well as embossed paper, to make it more interesting and to match the original.

      Delete
  2. I have been pondering a ceiling for the dress shop room box. I think I am going to use plexiglass with velum. It will be like a frosted window but allow natural light in??? I found some of the tiny but powerful magnets help keep in place....I just haven quite work out the how....On another note, your corsets are wonderful! I love the little bows. I wonder if a french knot would look like a rosette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of plexiglass and velum. I'll be interested to see how you do it. I think a French knot probably would work as a rosette. I'll have to give that a try. :-)

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how just the foam board ceiling turned the project into a warm, inviting room! I was wondering if you'd thought about attaching the cove to the ceiling to act as a lip? Then it would be removable, plus keep it lined up?
    The bookshelf looks just wonderful filled with books! That is quite an accomplishment and I like how you've decided to give yourself some relief with a fun, new challenge! Carrie's shop is so inspirational! If the corsets and coat are any indication of your tiny clothes making skills, they'll be fabulous! I love the bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had the same feeling of the ceiling making the room more inviting. :-) Your idea of attaching the cove to the ceiling is an interesting one, and may be the most workable. Thanks for the kind comments on the clothes and bedroom!

      Delete
  4. I'm certain that your Teddy Rosevelt room would have made him PROUD should he ever had the pleasure of seeing it as we have!
    The authentic details along with those hundreds of teeny tiny books, have made this room entirely livable but now with the ceiling being under construction- it is even more so, and except for the inclusion of the cutting mat, it actually looks like a photo from Architectural Digest!
    And may I say that your miniature clothing is Wonderful!!!
    I hope that you continue to explore miniature couture because you are REALLY good at it! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do like to think he would recognize and like it. :-) And thank you for the kind words on my clothes. I am looking forward to playing around more with them. I have many ideas. I hope I can realize them.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn’t have thought the library could look any better than it already did but the addition of the roof has really added a load of atmosphere. I think the lighting is entirely appropriate. I imagine in the time period this was about as much light as you would get and the soft glow give the room such a lovely feel. I agree with Jodi, you should use your coving to your advantage and either attach it to the wall as a shelf for the ceiling to sit on or as Jodi suggests a lip to hold it in place. Those shoes you made for the train are absolutely amazing and I’m constantly surprised at the ingenuity used to find materials that work in your scale. The corsets with their little ruffles are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Samantha! I think I will end up using the coving as a shelf for the ceiling, rather than a lip to hold it in place.
      I think either would work fine, and both have their advantages, but I'm afraid I'll knock off my little animal heads if I'm constantly putting something down into the room. :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Deb. The ceiling really makes the room feel complete, but I can understand wanting to have the ceiling removable. And your tiny clothing is just perfect, especially that very classy coat! Love them! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I think I really do like doing half-scale clothing.

      Delete