Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Filling the Bookshelves


This week, I mostly worked on filling those bookshelves (seven still to go on the big bookcase, plus most of the smaller bookcase), so this post will be an explanation of how I make all those books.




I start with my pre-made template for half-scale book covers.  I set this up years ago when I was making books for the bookcase in the half scale bungalow.  The default size for each cover (front or back) is .25" x .4".  Depending on the size of the book image I find, these measurements may be adjusted slightly.  For this project, I am mostly finding images of spines, so the only adjustments will be to the width of the spine and the height of the covers.  Cover height can vary from .26 to .4".  I have been going through the list of books in the library and trying to find images of those books, so that I can snag images of their spines.  In the instance below, I actually took a screen shot of a couple of shelves in the library and started cropping it to each book spine.  I then placed each spine in my template.  Because the spine is the only image I have, the remainder of the book cover is simply a rectangular shape with no border; fill color is matched as closely as possible to the spine, using Microsoft Office's "eye dropper" tool.



I was originally printing with a high-resolution printer that I had access to, but I found that when I started folding the paper, the high-resolution ink "cracked" and white showed through on the folds!  I've since started printing with my regular HP inkjet printer, using its "best" setting.  The resolution is not as high, but the overall quality of the book covers is better.  Once I've printed a batch and given the ink a chance to dry, I go over the book covers with matte Mod Podge for Paper and allow it to dry thoroughly.

The covers are then roughly cut out and folded firmly along the lines that extend beyond the colored rectangles.  Once they've been folded, I trim the edges down to about 1/8" from the outside folds.


I then use glue stick to glue the book boards to the inside covers.  The boards are cut from cardstock.  I cut (or my spouse cuts—thanks, honey!) dozens of them at a time.  They are all originally .25 x .4", but I trim them as needed for the individual books.  I then lop off the corners of the covers at a diagonal and glue down the inside edges, again with glue stick.  I used to do a more complicated process that involved leaving a little diamond on the tip of each corner and folding that in first.  That ensured full color coverage around the inside edges of the book.  However, that was simply taking too long and wasn't really necessary once the books were on the shelves, so I streamlined the process.  I also no longer put a strip of paper along the inside of the spine, as I do when I am making a readable book.  It isn't necessary if you're not going to be opening the book.


I have several strips of mat board and/or cardstock that I use for the book insides, depending on the width of the book spine.  Here you can see one that is 3 layers of card stock, one that is one layer of mat board, one that is one layer of mat board and one layer of card stock, and one that is one layer of mat board and two layers of card stock.  I find that I rarely need anything thicker than that.  The strips are all a bit narrow than .25", because I want a little bit of border around the inside of the book.


I then cut pieces of the strips to a bit less than the height of each book and glue them inside, using glue stick. Finally, I glue my books together using tacky glue, until I get a set that is long enough to fill a shelf.


Here you can see the books on the shelves.  Note the difference between the left-and right-hand shelves.  You can clearly tell those printed on my current printer from those printed on the high-res printer.  I have left those books because I figure it just gives them a well-read appearance, but I definitely prefer my current printing method.  By the way, those reddish books on the bottom of the far right-hand shelf (the middle section when you look at the bookcase as a whole) are all from a set of the complete works of Theodore Roosevelt.


Here you can see the shelves that were done from a screen shot.  The books are a little thicker than they would probably be in real life, so I can't fit as many on a shelf, but I think it gives the general idea.

I've made 326 books to date!  It's a tedious process, but I think provides a greater sense of realism on the shelves.

I was going to put brass wire "bars" across the shelves on the far-left side as I've seen in some current pictures of the library.  Then it occurred to me that those might have been added to prevent damage/theft by tourists, and, sure enough, when I checked those shelves in old black-and-white photos of the library, the bars aren't there.  So—no bars on my bookshelves!

Have a great mini week and, as always, thanks for your support and encouragement!



11 comments:

  1. I'm so going to keep this method in mind when I start making books from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great method for making so many! It's wonderful to have a little help from the hubs, especially when you are replicating the real life books down to the spine covers! When I think about how small one quarter of an inch is, it's even more incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! An extra pair of hands sure can help, and I do appreciate it. The books are very small--smaller than chewing gum. :-)

      Delete
  3. The books look great Deb! Lots of work but a verybrealistic look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Deborah...you are plugging right along. I tried to think of a sophisticated name for a bookmaker, Merriam Webster and the thesaurus were no help, unless you are a degenerate gambler! So I have decided to make one up, I crown you "Biblio Artisan Extraordinaire in Mini". Wear it proudly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK. I really can't read your comments when I'm drinking a cup of tea. I sprayed tea all over my desk when I read that! RTFLMAO! I *could* be a degenerate gambler, although that would be a very different kind of bookmaker. Thank you for my new title (not the degenerate gambler one). :-)

      Delete
  5. You are such a stickler for the Finest Details but that is what makes this project so incredibly interesting to follow!
    And I am Totally impressed by how tidy each of your books are as well, but regarding the authentic duplicates of the spines - I think that you should Take Your Bows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Actually, using the spines from screen shots of the library actually simplifies things for me. I don't need to spend time hunting for book covers on the internet. :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh!! I haven't stopped by here for a while . It's so freaking fantastic! I have to come over a see it in person soon. I promise I won't touch! (I can't help it if I have HUGE hands - I got those from my dad!)

    ReplyDelete