Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Plans and Mock-up


Once I had some pieces made, it was time to plan for the box itself.  I found the actual floor plan online (yay for the Internet!).  I used quarter inch graph paper and experimented with drawing out the plan to scale.




I tested the pieces in the room, as well as against the elevation drawings, and compared them to the pictures online to see if I was getting the proportions essentially correct.  I needed to make sure I also accommodated the wood trim I’ve purchased, as well as such things as the projection of the cornice on the bookshelves.  You can see me playing with the layout below.  The bookshelf should be flush against the left-hand side.  Based on that try-out, as well as my elevations, the drawing below changed a bit.  The drawing above is the one I used.



Left side elevation (second bookcase shown in middle):


Right side elevation:


I was confused by the header over the fireplace, as it appears to come out some distance from the wall.  You can see that the window actually disappears up in behind it.  According to this fabulous find (again, yay for the Internet!  How did we ever get anything done without it?), it’s called a valance wall.  Who knew?

The next step was to create it in foam core:




On my first try, I messed up the two side walls, inadvertently making the windows too wide and moving the fireplace too far to the left.  I think this should be called the “do everything twice” build.  Sheesh!

Now I’m satisfied with the pattern, and the next step is to cut the wood.  I picked up quarter inch craft plywood from Joann.  This is definitely going to be my least favorite part of the build.

5 comments:

  1. I know the frustrations of having to do things twice over but your room is going to be better for it because you'll be satisfied.
    and you're making excellent progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's moving along. And I do always seem to be happier with my second try.

      Delete
  2. "Do Everything Twice" should be the name of my autobiography! But we do have to please ourselves. That website was fascinating. Can't wait to look at it more closely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how carefully you are planning everything out - and what a treat it must be to have so much information about the room at your fingertips! Doing things twice doesn't satisfy our instant gratification instincts, but it sure looks better in the finish, and we learn so much! What a fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is really nice having so much information. It really helps make it a little more true to life.

      Delete