Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Leather Chair

For the brown leather chair, I made several attempts to find thin brown faux leather.  I had found some fabulous red faux leather by LuvFabrics when I was making the mid-century bar in my Merrimack, but couldn’t find it in brown.  One version was too thick; another that I thought was exactly what I wanted ended up being metallic bronze!  So, in my first try for the brown leather chair, I used some material I had purchased from Joann.  It’s actually fabric, but has the look of aged, cracked brown leather.  I’ve seen it used to spectacular effect in 1:12 scale.  However, in 1:24 scale it just looked . . . odd. 

The pattern was a combination of the upholstered chair and the Lisa chair from One Inch Minis.  Instead of wrapping the bottom and covering the front of the arms with fabric, I used real wood scrapbook paper that I had stained.  I was pretty happy with the pattern, but the stain could have been a bit darker on this version, and the legs are too long.  I also didn’t get quite the tufting effect I wanted.  Back to the drawing board.

Since I couldn’t find the faux leather I wanted, I ended up getting an inexpensive pair of used leather gloves from eBay.  The glove leather was a bit thicker than I would have liked, but it was soft and pliable, so I gave it a try.



Much better, I think.  Instead of using batting on the seat and back, I used craft foam.  Using a leather punch, I punched holes in the craft foam where the tufting would be, to give the leather some place to sink into. 



 I stained the wood scrapbook paper with a darker stain, and I cut my legs (fancy toothpicks superglued to flattish round beads and painted) a little shorter.  For the buttons, the leather was too thick to use, so I painted a sheet of plain paper with brown satin-finish paint.  This allowed me to use the tiny dots from a border craft punch to punch even smaller circles than I could with the leather punch; I then “rounded” them on my craft foam according to Kris’ instructions.  



I think I can live with this version.

10 comments:

  1. It is incredible to see how tiny this chair actually is, and how perfect you've been able to make it! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's definitely not perfect, but I am happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  2. That is amazing, especially in half scale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your leather chair looks REALLY good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two chairs (well, actually 4 since you did them both twice I think), one desk, two lion skin rugs. Wow, you are a crafting machine. The chair came out so well! Meanwhile, It's taken me over a week to quill 5 little flowers for a headband I am making for the little girl upstairs. Probably because I only work in 5 minute segments! You have inspired me to finish it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deborah! I'm so glad you have a blog! I've spent most of the morning reading it from beginning to end. :) Adding to my blog roll stat! Wow, you really are mastering making half scale furniture. Your pieces really are amazing. I love the tufting on this leather chair and your creative way of achieving the look and precision in getting those tufts evenly spaced. Anyone who has attempted miniature tufting can attest to the difficulty of that!. You are always so creative when it comes to materials, the use of leather gloves and wooden scrapbook paper is so cleaver. I've been looking for some thin leather for a project myself so now I'm off to ebay to look for some gloves. lol. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. clever not cleaver.. lol.. what was I thinking when I accidentally wrote that! :o

      Delete
    2. I figured you meant clever. :-) Welcome, Sam. Thank you so much for visiting and for your kind comments! (As you probably noticed, now that I have a blog, it is much easier for me to comment on other people's blogs. Blogspot "recognizes" me, and I don't have the difficulties I used to.) On the chair, MikeUK uses glove leather he gets as a raw material, but I have never been able to find it or figure out where he sources it. It gave me pause to cut into a nice pair of gloves, but I have to say, that glove leather was divine to work with! Good luck! Hope you find some.

      Delete