Friday, July 12, 2019

Library Books Done!




The books are done!  Final count—492 books.  Yes, I kept a spreadsheet.  😊


I ended up making a couple of extra that then didn't quite fit on the shelves, but that's fine.  I am so thankful that job is done.



You may notice from the pictures that I am toying with the idea of putting a photo of the hallway over the door.  The picture is taken from the Google Art of Sagamore Hill Web site.  I had to edit out the gates, as they would obviously not have been there when the house was occupied by the family.  Not sure if I will keep it.  It does hide my messy desk on the other side of the doorway. 😊 

I've also started work on the final rug.  This is the original.  Sorry for the somewhat odd picture.  This rug is apparently the pivot point for the 360-degree view of the library, so the center of it looks like a bad acid trip.  I've covered it up with a side view of the rug, and between the two you should be able to get an idea of what the rug looks like.



This is my pattern for the rug (created in Word).


And here it is in progress.  As you can see, this rug will take much less time than the last one.  I only started it last Friday.



I also forgot to mention I have added another Teddy bear to the room.  In June I went up to the annual sale at Peg's Dollhouse in Santa Rosa.  She has an amazing assortment of miniatures, as she takes in collections from miniature enthusiasts who have passed away or are needing to downsize.  You could look for hours and still keep seeing something new.  Many of the items she has are antique, no longer in production, or simply one of a kind.  One of the things I found was this little fuzzy Teddy—an adorable treasure for the library!



Once the rug is done, the library will be, for all intents and purposes, complete.  There are some things I have left out because I'm afraid the room would be too cluttered with them, but I think I have a fairly good representation of the items from the original.  None of them is a perfect match, but I hope that anyone familiar with Sagamore Hill would recognize the room.  😊  It has taken me longer than the year I predicted, but that's OK.  Along the way, I have learned quite a lot, including:
  • If at first you don't succeed, . . . .  😊  Do-overs are just part of the process, and every time I've tried again, I've been happy I did.  I think my skills at both upholstered furniture and wood furniture have improved.
  • I'm better than I thought I would be at making animal heads out of clay and flocking them, even if mine do tend to be cuddlier than the originals.
  • I can make my own rug patterns from scratch.  I've always relied on finding existing patterns or using picture-to-pattern software, but I've found that I can just make designs myself in Word, and they turn out alright.
  • Theodore Roosevelt had a lot of books.
  • I don't need to make absolutely everything myself.  Sometimes relying on what's out there in the miniature market is OK, too.
  • Miniature amigurumi is very likely beyond my skill set.  This doesn't necessarily mean I won't try again at some point, but see the preceding item.  😊
  • I really enjoyed the challenge of trying to match some of the items in the library.  Sometimes the things that were the weirdest were the most fun to make (like the birds' nest candlesticks).  I also had quite a time trying to find a blue glass pitcher, and ending up making a glossy blue pitcher from quilled paper.  The funny thing is, I've now found a half-scale blue glass pitcher, but I think I'd prefer to keep my own.
  • The encouragement and support of other mini-makers is priceless.  I truly appreciate each and every comment that readers have made.  They have buoyed up my spirits, offered helpful suggestions, provided information I needed to complete the room, and just made my heart happy.  I have also learned to be braver in making comments on other blogs because I know how much they mean to me.
And that's a wrap for this week.  Thanks for stopping by!  Have a wonderful weekend!



12 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful! Full bookcases yay! The goal is achieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I know you truly appreciate the work involved. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hooray for completing all of those books! 492 is a monumental amount and the shelves look wonderful!!
    I love the idea of seeing the hallway through the door!
    Final rug? Yeah! Making your own pattern in Word? Genius!
    You should feel amazingly accomplished and completely proud of yourself for all of the reasons you list! The entire point is to challenge ourselves and you took the Master Class on so many skills and succeeded beautifully! The room box is incredibly accurate, and when you think about the challenge of making something like this in half scale, it is mind blowing! Excellent work, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, I think I'm going to keep the hallway. It's growing on me. And I have truly loved the challenge of this room. :-)

      Delete
  3. This has been a great project to follow. I have to really study your posts to determine whether I am looking at the inspiration or your miniature version. Then I have to remind myself that it is half-scale. Amazing! Your list of what you learned is fun, and I totally agree that the encouragement and support from other miniaturists is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is a great compliment. Thank you so much for following along; I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. Your postmortem regarding what you have learned from making this FANTASTIC room, I heartily agree with and might I add, that watching and reading about your trials, and final successes has encouraged US too!
    I don't think that I would ever try to make trophy heads as you have, but the fact that you DID and DID IT WELL, will give anyone else who doubts their abilities to perhaps give it a go and see IF they can too!
    I LOVE your books and to have made nearly 500 of them is Astounding! They look GREAT as does the hall photo over the door- good call!
    Of all the Marvellous elements in the room, my FAVOURITE are the black bird candlesticks you made. They are both Weird and Wonderful and I Take My Hat Off
    BRAVOS to you Deborah! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I love those candlesticks, too. They turned out better than I had expected, and they are so unique. I would actually love having the real-life ones, too. :-) I am glad you have enjoyed the journey. :-)

      Delete
  5. This has been an absolute thrill to trace back read and watch you create this historical endeavour!
    I have long time been a fan of President Mr. Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, his two wives Alice and Edith and all the rich history he brought.
    Fabulous, phenomenal amazing incredible stupendous A++ Go to the Head of the Class! ... I have learned so much in this afternoon as i have traced back thru your posts and watched your excursion. Thank you ever so much for the richness of it all.
    And here's a little website you might find interesting that has some original photographs of his library during his and his wife Edith's occupation - it only serves for your enjoyment!

    https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/famous-libraries-studies-writing-rooms/

    Again! Well done! ..was worth every minute i have spent <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the journey (so did I!). :-) And thank you for the link to a very interesting article.

      Delete
  6. ... and just one more thing I must quote from TR concerning his library and ALL the books you've painstakingly created:

    “Books are almost as individual as friends. There is no earthly use in laying down general laws about them. Some meet the needs of one person, and some of another; and each person should beware of the booklover’s besetting sin, of what Mr. Edgar Allan Poe calls ‘the mad pride of intellectuality,’ taking the shape of arrogant pity for the man who does not like the same kind of books.”

    https://bookriot.com/2014/01/30/teddy-roosevelts-10-rules-reading/

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this link as well! I love his 10 rules for reading. They are so true.

      Delete